Sunday, April 10, 2011

The pursuit of happiness


I wandered thousand places,

Trudging along alien roads,

Through tall mountains and deep valleys.

The mirages of joy and euphoria,

In the brightest of the sun,

Inducing a craving in my heart

That propelled me ahead.


I met a thousand souls,

Some happy with their journey,

And some lonely in the battle.

With some I thought my heart clung

But were only the treacherous ones

Who, under the veil of serenity,

Gave a fake sense of belonging.


I tried to find happiness,

Sometimes amidst chaos of sounds,

And sometimes in the solitary self.

Little did I know that

It isn’t the acolyte of wealth,

Or the follower of desires

But the upshot of dreams that come true.


Then when I queried the saints of tranquillity,

I realized that happiness is where my heart dwells.

Searching for my heart I wandered night and day,

And found that in the company of toiled it lay,

Pumped every time a heart was elated,

And flinched every time one was wounded,

United with my heart, my pursuit ceased,

And finally could I lay in peace.

6 comments: